It’s almost August. School starts again in three weeks, and between graduate courses (working on a second certification to augment my Master’s degree), administrative duties that I picked up this year, housekeeping, gardening, and our ever growing herd of chickens, I haven’t been nearly as active as I’ve wanted to be.
I want to use this space for so many things. I’d like to continue to build a compendium of simple, healthy recipes made from whole, real ingredients primarily taken from our gardens; I’d like to post bits and pieces about the homestead wedding we’re planning that will take place just over a year from now in one of our hay fields and the reception that we’re planning outdoors in a pair of tents; I’d like to continue to build on the theme of gardening and living sustainably; and I’d love to have a place to talk about budgeting as we move toward putting a new roof on the house and saving for the event involving the big white dress. Mostly, though, I’d like to get back to writing every day.
So to start out, I’ve decided to come up with a modest list of goals each week to give myself some measure of accountability as I move forward. These will run from Wednesday to Wednesday with the hope that having a weekend in-between might help me squeeze just a bit more focus into my writing and daily work.
This week’s goals:
- Write at least one garden update post and a separate chicken update post.
- Finish weeding both gardens and ’till between the rows to encourage further growth.
- Put together a realistic budget for the next six months.
- Stockpile supplies necessary to can tomato sauce and pickles and freeze peas and green beans (because those vegetables will ripen overnight).
- Clean out the root cellar in preparation for the fall harvest.
- Assemble materials to finish the curtains in the dining room and make cloth napkins (to help cut out paper towel usage).
- Continue 5K training.
Hopefully, between weekly goals and a focus on better homemaking, this will become a much more active place for your reading enjoyment!