We spent this weekend hard at work building a modified Ussery Pasture Shelter. As such, today’s post is going to be a mish-mash of what we’ve accomplished. Later this week, I’ll walk you through the changes we’ve made to Ussery’s design, which I can’t recommend enough; however, if you want the design, I’m going to have to recommend his book to you, as I don’t want to infringe on his copyright. I have included some photos below for your amusement.
We started off the weekend with a trip to Lowe’s, where we purchased both a storm and screen door (to be installed in a few days). The one thing nobody mentioned when we started planning a backyard wedding was the amount of home improvements we would
endure accomplish. Later this week, we’ll be putting on a new roof!
We also lowered the grow light as soon as most of our seedlings had sprouted.
The flock started producing more eggs after the fall off of two weeks ago; we’re back up to about five a day, and I’m fairly certain that it has everything to do with hours of daylight and my new, earlier schedule. And as I didn’t note it last week when it happened, everyone is now back in the same coop. Not because we have eggs and know who the rooster-daddy is, but because it was too cold to maintain one flock outside and keep them in water. Operation flock-separation will likely start early next week, especially now that we have the new coop just about built!
And without further delay… our new coop is up and almost operational.
Check back later this week or friend us on Facebook, so you can follow step-by-step as we make Ussery’s design pasture safe without an electric fence!