Updating Ussery’s Pasture Shelter: Part II, Building the Box

Today, I’m going to discuss framing the box at the top of our modified Ussery shelter. We started by completely framing in the floor and nesting boxes, which you can see in yesterday’s post.

Two Roosting Box Ends (Front Triangle with Notch in Foreground)

In order to close in the box and protect the girls at night, we designed two triangular panels to fit on either side of the floor (the roof being already secure in Ussery’s initial design).  These ends screw flush against the back frame and the frame of the fifth rafter forward (when slid into place).  I started by measuring the hypotenuse of the  triangle at the very bottom of our support board, ensuring that I added the width that the rafters to this measurement.  We then measured the height from the bottom of the support board to the apex of the roof at the midpoint.  Finally, we used these measurements (plus an additional inch on either side of the top apex measurement since the ridgepole has a width of two inches) to trace a triangle onto our plywood.   We cut out one, measured it against the frame (Victory!) and then traced a second.  It’s important to remember when you trace your second to cut out a notch where it will have to slide up around the ridgepole (since what will become the front piece is inside the shelter, rather than attached flush against the front of the building.

Jason then made a template  for the two doors (roughly 12” L x 18”W) that we planned to cut into each triangle – one for eggs on the back (which sits  two inches above the bottom to ensure nothing rolls out when I open it) and one for cleaning in the front (which he put in the same place before cutting the door all the way to the bottom, to allow for sweeping out any unwanted chicken droppings (so there wouldn’t be a threshold in the way).  He installed both doors with utility hinges before we screwed them onto the shelter.

Rear-View with Raised Entry Hatch

Front-View with Flush Entry Hatch

Meanwhile, I added  a few 2”x2” boards cut to size in what would become the nest box to provide some privacy and a sense of delineation between the roosting box and the nesting area. 

The final step to completing the roosting box was to add in two roosts.  We did this because we have a few girls who stubbornly insist on being as high as possible at night (through we can’t really blame them).  We added two braces about a foot from the apex of the roof, their edges cut at 45 degree angles.  In order to keep the ends from cracking, we drilled pilot holes before securing them in place.

Roosts

Jason then added a final coat of white paint on exposed areas, while I began to attach a layer of hardware cloth to the back of the shelter.  We chose to cover the ENTIRE structure in hardware cloth, as it provides superior poultry protection.

Hardware Cloth

Finally, we installed the roofing.  We were careful in placing an extra row of screws that drilled directly into the base to ensure that pests would be kept out, though I will likely still run two extra stringers along the bottom to close a few small gaps that remain.

Shelter with Completed Roosting/Nesting Box

Check back next weekend for finishing touches and the girls’ first time in their new home!

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “Updating Ussery’s Pasture Shelter: Part II, Building the Box

    • Yes – about two inches – just enough that it still comfortably rolls without being prone to predator problems. And because it’s on wheels, I can pull it, myself, without the tractor!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s